Environmental Core Policy
It is Weyerhaeuser's core policy to be responsible stewards of the environment wherever we do business. We practice sustainable forestry, set and meet goals to reduce pollution, conserve natural resources and energy, reduce waste, and continually improve our environmental performance.
All employees and leaders worldwide are accountable for managing and operating our businesses to:
- Comply with all applicable environmental laws.
- Follow company environmental standards.
- Meet other external requirements to which the company commits.
Business activities will be conducted to:
- Employ environmental management systems to achieve company expectations.
- Manage the environmental impacts of our business activities and products, including innovative and advanced technology solutions.
- Implement and execute a residuals and solid waste management plan consistent with the company's financial and environmental goals, minimizing life cycle costs including potential future liabilities.
- Promote environmental laws, policies and regulations that are based on sound science and that incorporate incentive-based approaches to improve environmental performance.
- Adopt company policies to protect the environment.
- Manage forest lands for the sustainable production of wood while protecting water quality; fish and wildlife habitat; soil productivity; and cultural, historical and aesthetic values.
- Audit compliance with environmental laws, policies, regulations and company requirements.
- Resolve noncompliance conditions promptly, including when necessary, curtailing operations to protect human health and the environment.
- Track and publicly report on our environmental performance.
All leaders are responsible for:
- Ensuring environmental management systems are aligned with operational systems and function to achieve compliance and company expectations.
- Ensuring that they and their personnel understand environmental requirements and obligations.
- Holding employees accountable for their environmental responsibilities.
- Providing technical and financial resources to achieve and maintain compliance with environmental laws and regulations.
Employees are responsible for:
- Understanding that environmental responsibility is a critical part of their job.
- Meeting the requirements and expectations of this core policy and related Company environmental policies.
- Ensuring they acquire education and training to enable them to carry out their environmental responsibilities.
- Supporting efforts to identify and apply environmental best management practices.
- Demonstrating a personal commitment to stewardship and environmental protection through resource allocation, advocacy, and action.
Last updated April 23, 2013